As you all are already aware that the format for upload of all the files, whether it’s a movie 1080p or 2160p, TV series episodes and Featurettes is RAR compressed.
Recently there have been some comments about why not upload it directly, so addressing that is this post. As to whether the format should be changed. Please give a read.
The reason format has been rar from the start is due to
- Was inspired from some other Drive hosting sites as they used such format for their uploads.
- Downloading is easier with parts for large files. A 15 GB 4K release single file vs three 5 GB files, personally would prefer latter.
- Similarly, for TV shows, it’s easier to download episodes in small number of parts than manually doing each episode. Eg. A 15 GB season with 20 episodes, you will have to download 20 files or you can download three 5 GB files.
- Featurettes include many small-sized files, so a single compressed file is easier to download.
- Don’t know if it’s true, but someone had mentioned that it’s easier for files for video files to get flagged compared to a compressed format where it’s not possible to determine the content
- More future survivability
Talking about the downsides or what would have pros if the files were uploaded directly.
- No need to bother with uncompressing files after downloading each file.
- Possibility to stream movies and episodes from Google Drive’s streaming service.
- If you’re downloading a 2160p movie that obviously means you have a high-speed connection, so parts won’t really matter for that.
- For TV seasons as well, in that case you would have to download each episode but that way you can watch episode as soon as possible, can check the quality if you prefer it instead of downloading the whole 5 GB file.
Although the rar parts are in chronological order, so it should not be much worse in this regard.
- Preferable to make a copy on personal Drive in a video format than compressed.
These are the points from a user’s download perspective.
So with these points, currently debating whether to change the format. As a lot of Drive links are still not working and will have to fix them, there’s a possibility to completely change the format of every single movie or TV series hosted.
If the format was to actually change, some points to take note of
- Compressing the files increases the manual load and is relatively inefficient in putting out releases.
Hence, the speed and frequency of uploads will definitely increase by a good chance, links will get fixed faster as well.
There’s a possibility to branch to more types of releases.
- Format shall remain consistent, so compared to how all the files are RAR. There will be no compressed files instead.
Each movie whether 1080p or 2160p.
TV Seasons will have each episode as separate link.
Featurrette uploads might be dropped.
- It’s likely that you still won’t be able to directly make a copy to your own Drive due to certain things.
- Although in case of the direct shares, there’s a possibility that the files get flagged easily. In which case the site’s format will instead switch from direct sharing of Drive links to instead using services like klop.me where you’ll have to use your own Google account to download files and it does allow you to create your own copy of files.
Still you won’t be able to download >15 GB files, for which direct link sharing format will probably apply still.
Anyways, this is just a possibility in case the format is changed and the files get flagged a lot.
Personally I am little inclined towards direct link sharing due to high efficiency with a large decrease in manual effort. Eg. had downloaded some TV series couple of days ago, but didn’t get around to handle their compression and upload yet.
From downloader’s perspective as well I can see the benefits of a direct link.
For a personal collection, it’s suitable as well.
There’s some uncertainty about survival of such system though. RAR files are more future proof.
In the case of change, literally all of the links will be changed.
So, leave your comments if the format should be changed, why or why not. You can also leave thoughts on the recently added link shrinker. Which was necessary, otherwise this site would be in actual loss monetarily and effort wise personally.
You can see a glimpse of TV season uploads in that case at Chernobyl (2019) Season 1 (1080p BluRay x265 HEVC 10bit AAC 5.1 Silence) which has direct links.
Thanks for reading and stay safe!